Friday, January 15, 2010

How God Became My Father, Psalm 68:5

My father died when I was nine. My mother needed comfort from guilt and sought to communicate with his ghost, this began a dark trek into the occult. We left the Church and I became a practicing pagan but still felt empty and void.

God is willing to be, “A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows is God in his holy dwelling.” Psalm 68: 5, NIV.

This does not mean He forces Himself on us; still, he longs to be our Father and He waits for us to seek Him and call on Him.

A FAITHFUL LIFE
My father's death caused me to question spiritual things and begin a search for “Truth.” I spent a lot of time at the library reading books about various myths and beliefs. I befriended others who rejected traditional faith for occult beliefs and we met in the library discussing our own philosophies. God sent a person to work at the library who was a Christian. We mocked him but he faithfully witnessed to Jesus in words and actions, he answered criticisms about God, the Bible, and Jesus.

He shared literature called the 4 Spiritual Laws and it explained the way of salvation. It said:

• God loved me and had a plan for my life.
• My sins separated me from God.
• Jesus died on the cross to pay for my sins, and his resurrection is proof that sin's judgment is satisfied.
• If I accept what Jesus did on the cross for me I will have a new life and eternal relationship with God.

DECISION
One night while listening to the news I considered the world's end was near and with it my own end. Realizing that if I were to die then I would face eternity without Jesus that night I called out and accepted Jesus as my only Savior, and as such, I received the benefits of his death on the cross for me. At that time God became more my father than the one I was born to. There are scars in my life from my father’s death but since his death began the steps that brought me to God I feel they are beautiful scars. It has been over 40 years since that night and I can say it has been my experience that God has been a father to me when I had no other.

THE FATHER YOU NEED
Whatever your sorrow, loss or need you have God is the answer to that need. Call out to Jesus to be your Savior and come to the Lord today. He is willing to be your father, protector, and intimate friend, but he does not come unbidden.

There was a prayer in the back of that track it went something like this…

Lord Jesus, my sins have separated me from you but I believe your death paid for them in full. Please come into my life and be my Savior and lord. Please forgive my sins. And give me the gift of eternal life. Thank you, Lord.

(c) Adron 1/15/10