Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Most Important Truth About Spiritual Gifts. 1 Corinthians 12:31

We try to find and use our gifts, but books and seminars still leave us unsatisfied. Is there one primary something that if you just did that one thing it would all work out?

“But eagerly desire the greater gifts. And now I will show you the most excellent way.” 1 Corinthians 12:31. NIV.

A LITTLE BACKGROUND
In 1 Corinthians 12 through 14:5 the Apostle writes to correct confusion and error in the early church. He explains that God gives gifts to individuals; gifts such as preaching, miracles, healing, leadership, apostleship, and prophecy.

THE GIFTS WERE NOT THE POINT
The list of gifts leads up to one final summery word. Paul’s last word is “And now I will show you the most excellent way.” Logically the next paragraph will be about some mystical discipline like prayer, fasting or some other duty that will give deeper more powerful gifts.

THE MOST EXCELLENT WAY
The next chapter of Paul’s epistle lays it out. A chapter that is read in weddings and embroidered in flowery patterns in pop Christian art- the Love chapter of 1st Corinthians 13. The most excellent way is the way of love. We have gotten so caught up with programs, seminars, books, clubs, family and life that we have forgotten the “most excellent way-” love.

OUR PREOCCUPATION
By practicing “The most excellent way” we would change the church and the world. We can even start a revolution of love in our homes, neighborhoods, and even the world, but we must become disciples of “the most excellent way.”

The occupation of the church and the preoccupation of every Christian should be “the most excellent way” of love. It should be the guiding value in every decision. Let's write love in our day planners and love on top of our do list. Make every human encounter a commitment to act out the most excellent way of Love. We should resolve to do nothing unless it is done in love.

P.S. And about all those Spiritual gifts, if we are living the love we will de-facto act out those spiritual gifts we want sooner or later anyway.

Prayer

Help me to learn, Dear Father God of Love
That most excellent way, your way of love.
Help me to follow the path of Jesus love;
Who on the cross for me showed true love.
Forgive me for my complacency to love.
Help me to understand the treasure of Love.
Make me into a person of passion for love.
May I fulfill the commandment to love.
Direct me to make all my plans in love.
Let me measure my motivations by love.
Show me the opportunities I have to love.
May I be transformed by the way of love,
And change my community by love.
Make me a disciple of the most excellent way.
(c) Adron 1/20/10