Friday, February 22, 2013

What Does The Bible Say About Fear?

We have many fears, They can cripple you emotionally and keep you from making progress in relationships, work, and life in general. Sometimes a fear looms up threatening our very existence.

"So do not fear for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10, NIV.

OUR IDEA
What The Bible Says About Fear
God does not promise to take away the object of our fear. We want the easy way out as if God were a magic genie to grant wishes that we could use to remove the source of our fears. But God does not offer that instead, he offers himself.

FOUR STATEMENTS
There are two truths and two statements of assurance and comfort in this verse.
     * I am with you. (Truth.)
     * I am your God. (Truth.)
     * I will strengthen you. (Assurance.)
     * I will uphold you. (Assurance.)

The truths validate assurance.
He says, "I am with you." He is the companion we need during the trials. He promises to be there for us like a shoulder we can cry on in prayer.

He says, "I am your God," a reminder of the All-Powerful One who is committed to us.

He says, "I will strengthen you." If The Lord who makes mountains so strong gives us the strength we should be strong indeed and more than able.

He says, "I will uphold you." He upholds the universe and keeps stars in their places If he upholds us we can be confident that we will not fall. He upholds us by his righteous right hand. Something that is righteous is pure, holy, trustworthy, and unfailing. The right hand speaks to us of authority and strength. This is a reinforcement of the first three assurances.

God's promises to us are based on who he is. All four I statements are followed by the word you. If this verse were to be summarized it would be that God says, "I am for you in this."

TWO COMMANDS
This verse gives two commands. Do not fear and do not be dismayed. The Almighty commands us not to fear. Then he reassures us he is able and willing to be there to help, uphold and give victory.

Do not fear!



(c)Adron Dozat 2/22/13