Saturday, March 10, 2012

Encouragement From The Bible For The Barren Woman 1 Samuel 1:27

No one can really offer counsel to the hurt a woman feels when she is struggling to have a child to love and hold. No one else can feel the pain she feels- it is a very private grief. I do not wish to be trite or to belittle the deep hurt but in love to offer a few words of hope from the Bible.

"And she said to him, 'As surely as you live, my lord, I am the woman who stood here beside you praying to the Lord. I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the Lord.  For his whole life, he will be given over to the Lord.'  And he worshiped the Lord there." 1 Samuel 1:26-28. NIV.

BACKGROUND
The story of Hanna is familiar, she was one of two wives and she was taunted by the other wife for being without a child. Hanna prayed silently at the Tabernacle pouring out her heart for the Lord to show mercy to her and give her a child, and she promised to give the child to the Lord's service. God chose to honor her prayer and gave her a son, and incredibly she keeps her promise when the child is weaned she drops him off at the Tabernacle to serve God. That son of Hanna's became a great prophet maybe the greatest in the Old Testament, and God also gave Hanna other children.

HANNA
Hanna was truly an awesome woman and there are few like her. She walked humbly with God. She prayed earnestly and in details expressed her grief to the Lord. She kept her vow and gave her son to the Lord.

GOD
When you are hurting people say these platitudes over and over and they sound empty and old but they are true. We don't understand why God does what he does but we do know that God loves us and he is good and his actions in our lives are wise. It was the resolution of Hanna's trust in God whatever the outcome that illustrates to all of us what is faith.

God may in his wisdom deny the prayer for a child. No one has all the answers for why he does for some and not for others. Hanna's example of pleading devoted prayer offers hope for the soul. We do not need to bear our hurts alone but can bring them to one who will gladly lift them. Consider Hanna's example and pour out your heart to the Lord.

A Prayer:
Father in Heaven,
How we long for the day when our pain will be taken away,
When we dwell not in sorrows but in the joy of your kingdom.
You know my pain and understand it far better than I do.
You understand the disappointment and sorrow.
I do not understand why this has happened,
Except we live in a fallen world.
Hear my plea for your grace and show me your loving mercy.
May You be for me that which I have not found.
I bring my hopes, and dreams, my pain, and sorrow to you,
and present them to the cross where the blood of Jesus' love covers all.
I accept on faith from your peace and the beginning of healing.
I accept that your will for me is wise and good even though I do not understand.
Thank you, God, for your love.
Thank you that you see and know and care.


To learn more about God's lover for you follow this link to my other blog.

(c)Adron Dozat 3/10/12