Sunday, January 3, 2010

What Does The Bible Say About Depression. Psalm 42:11

We all have times of discouragement.  In our struggle with discouragement, we turn to programs, pills, education, government or something else and it leaves us as depressed as before.

“Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.” Psalm 42:11, NIV.

AN AUTHORITY
The author of this verse experienced deep depression. He uses words like downcast,” meaning not able to look up. He was “disturbed,” meaning his peace was taken away. He had experience with the deep darkness of depression.

HOPE
The deepest problems of our heart are often answered by the simplest truths. “Put your hope in God,” not in money, government, programs, relationships or education. Hope looks forward in faith and trust, one may say it is faith. We must actively trust God, and not spend our time feeling sorry for ourselves.

We can put this in practice by:
     * Meditating on His Love.
     * Drawing close to God through His Word.
     * Review the promises He gives.
     * Remember He knows your inner need.
     * Remember He made you and understands you.
     * Express to God in prayer that you put your hope in Him.

FOCUS
When we focus on God and not on our problems we begin to find healing, and we have taken the first steps to lasting peace. To hope in God will lead to praise; like the verse says, “I will yet praise him” - there is a future beyond this trouble, and this sorrow is not all there is.

SAVIOR
God is our “Savior.” We are not saved from our sins by an angel or any created person or thing and our own actions will not save us- instead, we are saved by faith in God our Savior. God wants us to know the joy of salvation. Out of love God sent his Son to die for our sins, so if we trust Jesus He will be our Savior. Whatever depression, defeat, or sorrow you carry I encourage you to "put your hope in God." Bring your grief to God in prayer, and keep praying until you can start to praise him, and continue to praise him.

If you need to find out more about how God can be your savior see my other blog: Click Here.

A Prayer.
Psalm 42:11.
Heavenly Father, You are the God of joy.
You deserve my total service and worship,
but sometimes I get so down and discouraged,
Where I feel depressed and in a dark place.
I know You made me for a better purpose.
You want me to experience joy and salvation.
I know you love me, You see me, and understand.
Pardon my sin of selfishness with this life.
Forgive me for withholding worship and praise.
Turn my heart to You and away from self pity.
I put my hope in You alone for victory.
I accept Your wise and good purpose for me.
I receive Your love and forgiveness through Jesus.
Give me a lifestyle of worship and joy.
Thank You Father for these wonderful blessings.

© Adron 1/3/10